Friday, November 16, 2007

Advent Calendar

A few weeks ago, I came across a post by Amy about Advent Calendars. I loved reading all the comments she received and they gave me a few ideas. We don't have an advent calendar for Christmas. We have always just counted down in other ways (cotton balls on Santa's beard, tearing off numbered days on a chain, etc.). Then Leah sent me this link from one of my favorite crafting sites. It has a great tutorial for making your own advent calendar. So, I became inspired. Yesterday, I went to Hobby Lobby and found all the supplies that I needed. I got busy on it when I got home and even stayed up to midnight working on it. I finished it this morning. I have to say that I am pretty happy with my end result!I changed up a few things from the tutorial. First, I found these little plastic cases used for holding jewelry-making beads and such. They came 6 to a pack for $1.99 at HL. Unfortunately they only had 3 packs of those on their shelves. So, I bought 2 packs of the larger size that you see on the right. They came 4 to a pack for $1.99. I decided that maybe those can house some larger goodies or whatever. The lids come off easily so I hinged them at the top with some transparent scotch tape. I didn't use velcro on anything. I used the ATG to glue down most everything except the cardstock onto the canvas....I used hot glue, but I'm not sure how well it's going to hold. I will probably need to be on the lookout for some stronger adhesive to use to hold the cardstock/boxes to the canvas for longterm. The most time-consuming part was putting the strips of paper inside of these clear little boxes and getting them to stay. The letters and numbers are Autumn Leaves Scribbles. I stamped them onto pattern paper, cut them out, put them on black cardstock and then cut them out again. I think the black behind everything really makes them "pop". I was going to paint the canvas but decided that I liked the contrast of the white with all the black and other colors. I am still debating whether or not to put a ribbon on it to hang on the wall or if I want to just sit it up on the table against a wall or in holder of some sort. I am planning to put some things in the containers such as candy and trinkets, but I'm also going to do slips of paper that say things like "make cookies together" and "watch a Christmas movie" or "drink hot chocolate". Some things I plan to do as gifts won't fit, so I'll do a note to send them on a scavenger hunt for the gifts. I can't wait until December 1st now!

Anyway, just wanted to share. I have several ideas for some crafts this year for presents and such. I'm so in the mood to make the stuff now. I guess I need to get through Thanksgiving next week first! Have a great weekend!

No comments: